Thursday, July 24, 2008

Finally...A Real Letter From My Recruit



Justin has been gone for 2 1/2 weeks now and I've been just dying to get a "real" letter from him. I received the photocopy telling me his mailing address, and some do's and don'ts (DO write often - DO NOT send candy) but haven't been able to relax because I wasn't sure how he was really doing.

Today it finally arrived - my first letter. He is making friends and enjoying himself (when he has time to consider it) but has a big case of homesickness. It's completely understandable - he has never been away from his family for an extended period of time, and certainly never been so disconnected from all of us. I have been writing daily in the hopes it will help, but seeing "Please write me" in his handwriting nearly broke me. I know this is all part of becoming a man and a Marine, but as his mother I just want to make it all better, RIGHT NOW. I have a feeling this is why recruits don't have phone privileges. And it's probably for the best, because if he knew how sad I am about him missing me it would likely make it that much worse.

So he's becoming a Marine, and I have to become a Marine Mom. Who ever knew it would be so tough?

You see Justin above, wearing his brother's "Rainbows Are Gay" shirt, direct from London. He is surrounded by a few of the lovely ladies from his graduation class while they celebrate at his going away party. I really miss that smile.

No comments: