Sunday, November 30, 2008

It's A Wonderful Life



It has been a Backman family tradition (since I became a Backman) to watch my favorite film EVER on Thanksgiving weekend. Viewing "It's A Wonderful Life" has always been our official start to the holiday season. Most years, we would watch snuggled up on the sofa, mugs of hot chocolate for the boys in hand and a box of tissue close by for me. Once the film finishes, it's time to start decorating for Christmas. Of course, as the boys have gotten older, I've had a devil of a time convincing them to sit down with me. In fact, for the past several years I've had to maintain our "tradition" all by myself.

This year, with Justin away, Dylan was left holding the "time to indulge Mom" reins - and he came through with flying colors. We watched, without interruption, the entire film - there were no quick phone calls, no text messages, no unexpected visitors. And when it finished he said to me, "You know, Mom, that's really not a bad movie."

I think there may be a day when Dylan makes this one of his Backman family traditions. I may have started something...

3 comments:

Rob said...

God bless us, everyone

PrincessPanic said...

Erm, that's from Dickens' "A Christmas Carol"...

Rob said...

That's hardly the point