Sunday, May 4, 2008

Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

Bollocks. Parting sucks, it rips me to shreds, makes me rue the day I ever fell in love in the first place.

With my music collection.

I am not a materialistic person. I am a hoarder. This comes from (and here comes the self-inflicted psychiatry) the fact I had very little growing up, and at one point lost what I did have in a house fire. When I finally get to purchase something, I cherish it and can’t imagine ever giving it up. Not because it is a thing, but because it represents feeling for me.

Fast forward to today - I live in a very small duplex, and we are quickly being squeezed like the proverbial lime after a tequila shot because of my inability to let anything go. Well, my eldest son graduates high school in two weeks, and we’ll have a very special visitor, so it seemed the time to just say goodbye. I’ve been eBaying my little fingers to the bone, listing nearly 300 CDs so far...

But I digress. As I have to let loose with said CD, I also take the time to ensure it is properly ripped to the pc so I at least have the memory, the music, if not, the physical entity. The great thing is I’ve rediscovered some of my very favorite music. Hence the upcoming plethora of music videos I’ll be posting. Let me start with a classic...

Steely Dan performing “Peg” live

1 comment:

Rob said...

I think that it is disgraceful that a band of 'Dan's reknown should so shamelessly steal from a struggling hip-hop combo, de la soul for the "love you better" hook.

Shocking!!!