Sunday, October 19, 2008

Yes, I'm Odd


Against my better judgment, I responded to one of those "All About Me" questionnaire thingies. One of the questions was "What is your favorite flower?" That was easy - for me, it's the hydrangea. Every person, save one, wanted to know what in the world was wrong with me that I didn't pick something more "conventional".

Okay, when have I ever been "conventional"?

I absolutely love the hydrangea - it is full and lush, promising to share it's secrets with me if I will only safeguard it. It is not one single bloom, but dozens and dozens of brilliant blossoms all snuggled up with one another. They don't fight over the space, or try to detract from one another. Rather, each individual floret calls attention to the one next to her, pulling your eyes from one to another until you no longer see each little flower, but the burgeoning abundance of beauty they create.

I could psychoanalyze my obsession, but I think it's already clear why the hydrangea appeals to me.

No comments: